Tuesday, 9 December 2008

10-Day Obsessions

Back in high school, one of my friends used to characterize me as someone who had 10-day obsessions with people. Every 10 days, I had an "obsession" with someone new. I would hang off that person's every word, and treat him/her like he/she was the only person in the world. Then I'd get bored, and move onto the next person. Naturally, I didn't see it this way. I always described my social habits as a teenager as unabashed, and myself as forthright. As far as I knew, I just liked people. If I liked talking to you, I never moderated it. I just came at you full force. One of my philosophies as a teenager was to never let people not know how I felt about them.

I remember I used to consider dating "just an opportunity to discover what it is about that person I couldn't stand to live with" - a view that is both cynical, and progressive. I carried this view well into my early 20's. Dating becomes meaningless when you approach it in this way. Friendships become impossible. As for my friend, I can't in good conscience call our relationship "dating". "Dating" to me is a special class of social interaction of which I never want a part ever again. Well, usually. I suppose it wasn't so totally loathsome.

As for my obsessions with people, they still exist. I can almost count on it. Like clockwork. Maybe they're not the insensitive 10-days that my friend described, but I can't help but be fascinated by the people around me. I just hope it's not as poorly perceived as it was when I was a teenager.
There was an error in this gadget