Wednesday, 10 December 2008

Swimming in a sea of paper

That's what I'm doing today. =D Can't complain. It sure beats (1) running sport leagues, and (2) moving the contents of a department. I'll take my quiet little corner!

But this is not why I'm not writing. I'm writing for a different reason. I'm here to declare that I let the door on going back to my old job close. I just ... couldn't do it. It was strange. I loved my time there, but I couldn't bring myself to go back. Thank you to the union for the opportunity, but no thanks?

And contrary to anyone's expectations, I'm not typing to discuss/speculate on the reasons behind my passivity, or even to enumerate the reasons why I loved it so much at EP. I only wish to reflect on the wonderful memory that was my time there. Best team, best clients, best profs. I can only hope I can reach that level of comfort in a workplace elsewhere. Everyone knew I was leaving on a whim, and everyone was supportive of it, even though I didn't know what to expect, let alone wanted.

Finally, my good-bye:

From: Executive Programs Executive Assistant
Sent: Friday, September 26, 2008 4:59 PM
Subject: Thank you!

I didn’t plan to write this good-bye partly because, as many of you know, I would rather take a minute with each of you for a personal good-bye than send a generic one out en masse, but mostly because I didn't feel like this was really 'good-bye'. However, since I didn’t get the time to do all of the personal good-byes, and since a mass email is “efficient” in some sense, I decided to do it.

It was with "mixed emotions" that my departure was announced, and it is with mixed emotions that I now leave. So much is going on; so many new initiatives are underway. This team is ever-growing, and the department, ever-changing. It’s all so exciting. So much has changed since I first came on board, but some things have remained constant: this team is filled with caring, intelligent, hard-working individuals with whom I am proud to say I have had the opportunity to work. Thank you for a wonderful 3 years.

Please know that I am just down the street, and if you need to reach me, I can be reached at ********@hotmail.com, ********@gmail.com, ********@utoronto.ca, ********@trinity.utoronto.ca, etc... ad infinitum. They all get routed to the same place =).

Your former Assistant to the Managing Director, Finance Assistant, Program Coordinator, Daystaff Assistant, Facility Assistant,

Carolyn

There was an error in this gadget