Friday, 18 June 2010

Flashback

I saw a couple of ghosts from my past yesterday evening.  It was nice, and I was really happy to see them.  They reminded me of my early 20's, and what it felt like to feel valuable in a job, as if what I did had a real and tangible impact on the broader community, and my effort was rewarded and recognized.  It has been a long time since I felt rewarded and recognized, or even appreciated.

Then there were the questions.  How have you been?  What have you been up to? And I always pause before I give some generic answer suggesting that all is well, and that everything is perfect.

It was nice to see them.  For an evening, I felt youthful as I smiled and laughed and maneuvered the crowd as I once had done so regularly so many years ago.  But all I could think was What did I do for the last five years?

I've reviewed the past five years, I know, numerous times since September 2009, looking at the general upward trend in my standard of living, the stability I've developed,  the things that I have, and the people I have around me.   There were a lot of things that got done; things that happened.   All positive things.

So why...
There was an error in this gadget