And although I think my ability to not compare myself to others was laudable, the degree of self-criticism was not. It was symptomatic of a level of perfectionism that has haunted me since. I will never be "perfect". I know there is no such thing. However, it has taken me a long time to find comfort with that. I miss major milestones, and downplay my accomplishments. It is a difficult exercise for me to brainstorm my contributions ... to anything. I tend to focus on everything I aimed to do but did not.
Anyway, this is all to say that I had a wonderful last couple of years. And before I downplay to the point of forgetting, here is a list of things that I did (or didn't do):
- I bought a Jag. I call her Kitty.
- I took golfing lessons and discovered I can drive well past 200 yards consistently.
- I bought a new Fender guitar and started guitar lessons.
- I took some lessons in boxing and did some TRX training.
- I fell in love with Vibrams. I now own 2 pairs.
- I started cycling or walking to run errands. To help with this, I bought an amazing Detours Freemonster Flap Pannier. I save gas and get fresh air and exercise.
- I went rollerblading for the first time in 7 years.
- I went to a Jack Johnson concert at the Molson Amphitheatre.
- I visited Wasaga beach for the first time in years.
- I went for a hike at the Cheltenham Badlands twice this summer.
- I got a Canada's Wonderland Season's Pass this summer and for the first time in my life I went on all the biggest roller coasters, and spent time in a bikini at the water park.
- I've watched every blockbuster that has come out, but only blockbusters. If there aren't good movies out, I don't go to the movies.
- I cut my hair, manicure, and facial budget. They are frivolous treatments.
- I cut my restaurant budget and started cooking again.
- I didn't move! I did find a new apartment and am planning a move in the imminent future, but I managed to stay put for a few years.
- I stopped drinking, clubbing and going to bars. I just enjoy the occasional glass of wine with dinner. I don't have time for the other stuff.
- Although I cut my spending on clothing, I've picked up some pricey staples: a black Hilary Radley wool winter coat, a grey Helly Hansen raincoat, a champagne Rudsak winter coat, and a Nooka Zem Zot Mirror in Steel.
- I and my sister got through a draining year for caregiving through my mom's a hip fracture and hip surgery, starting dialysis early, and a sepsis infection. (My mom is doing exceptionally well and is in good spirits, I should add.)
It's been a great couple of years. I only expect it to get even better.
Wishing everyone the same,